Hampstead Triathlon Club Running Sessions (Track and Lead Group Runs)
Within the club we operate a number of organised running sessions typically meeting at the Hampstead Heath Running Track
Track running sessions are aimed at providing the highest quality workout of your training programme, under supervision of coaches, who will also help work on technique and form, through a number of specific run drills appropriate to your ability.
Lead group runs, usually in the off season, are a great and social way to improve your base fitness and strength
Group A = 10 miles 7.45 – 8.15 minute mile pace
Group B = 7-8 miles 9 – 9.30 minute mile pace
Things to consider:
- If you are unsure about what other running to be doing ask your session coach.
- Train in the group appropriate to your current fitness or injury situation, just because you used to be able to do a 15min 5k, can you still run that or are you better suited to intermediate group now?
We encourage members to introduce themselves to track running progressively. Don’t jump straight into full sessions the first time you go along.
What will be provided?
- 1-3 Coaches
- Session Plan
What do you need to bring?
- Membership card
- 1 x 750ml drink (as a minimum)
- Sports Watch (for timing)
- Optional: Heart rate monitor
- Ideal: Knowledge of your recent 5k time trial performance
What should you wear?
- Running shorts / tights
- Running vest, t-shirt, jacket if cold.
- Running shoes or racing flats.
Often there will be athletes of varying abilities doing different workouts on the track. It is advisable to understand the basic courtesies and customs of running on a track so that we can all enjoy workouts without injuries.
- Turn up 10 minutes before the start of the session so you can ask any questions you have before the session begins and by ready to start on time.
- Look both ways before you step onto or walk across the track.
- Give runners already using the track right of way.
- Warm-up in a clockwise direction in the outside two lanes or alternatively in the park.
- During the main set use the inside two lanes only and run in an anti-clockwise direction.
- Don’t run more than 2 abreast as this makes it difficult for you to be passed without using another lane.
- If you are being passed hold your position. If you move suddenly to the right/left someone may get hurt.
- Never stand still on the track particularly near the start/finish line.
- Whenever you are resting step off the track onto the track centre.
- If someone yells ‘TRACK’ move out of the way as you are probably not following one of the rules above.
- Finally be aware of other activities taking place on the in-field such as football or field events.